HISTORIC SCHOOLS OF EAST HARLEM
For our Back to School Series feature in partnership with Urban Archive, we are exploring the beautiful historic schools that have educated generations of East Harlem children. The schools highlighted in this tour were all built before 1950. Most of them were built in the first few decades of the 20th century, with the majority still in use today – some as schools, while others have been converted to community resource centers and housing.
With October 15th marking the end to Hispanic Heritage Month, we thought we would spotlight an impressive NYC Landmark that has beautiful and deeply rooted ties to the Hispanic community of East Harlem. Designated as an Individual Landmark by the Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1996, 1674 Lexington Avenue currently houses the Julia De Burgos Latino Cultural Center, but first began its life as Public School 72.
Saint Cecilia’s Church, built from 1883-87, is located at 120 East 106th Street in the section of East Harlem known as “El Barrio,” between Lexington and Park Avenues. The church was one of the first religious institutions built in the area. The building’s function as a Roman Catholic Parish has been in continuous use since 1884.